• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

48 y/o looking for other skipped generations.

OneTrackMind

No easy way to say it really. I struggle with being concise. Back in 69 mental health was not the industry it is today ... in 92 my son was fell victim to experimental drugs that inadvertently lead him onto crack. I'm talking of Ritalin which at that time was for his ADHD. Back to my time there was virtually no such thing ... just hyper kids and all that kind of thing. OCD - ODD - ADD - onto extreme anxiety, social phobia, clinical depression all of which did me no favors being diagnosed with. I was eventually pensioned off as someone who just does not fit in.

Recently I have opted to be once again DXed as the above symptoms fail to explain when others ask what's my core inability. Things are coming more into focus after taking an interest in my grandsons apparent lack of keeping up. Likes to bang his head which can lead to hard core episodes. His mum hardly spoke but now refuses to acknowledge any limitations of her own. None the less they pretty much all call me retarded which is fine by me. Being retarded in a world like this is not such a bad thing.

My therapist says she has "No Problem" DXing me on the spectrum, which in a world gone mad on labels is not such a bad thing. At least now when they "professionals" relay to my wife - "has your husband been DXed - we might be shown a little more respect ... rather than just saying Anxiety, phobias and depression. Teachers about rolls their eyes at that ... so too most nurses, doctors and other so called professionals. Sucks to only have symptoms labeled as your DX. Confuses everyone and does little to help - makes stigma worse.

ATM - If stigma gives way to anything, its still more pitty than much else. Stigma having most people think Anxiety is just being nervous, that social phobia is because I don't want to play with Bob and the my clinical depression is due to broken nails. Not sure if anyone gets my drift.

Is good since I have been reading up on the spectrum. There is a LOT of sense in it for me. I am more able to redefine and hone current alternative methods I've been using to remain drug free.

Alas - Adult Sufferers - (latter not a choice word) no doubt make for complex cases ... but I know myself well enough, so does my long standing therapist. I think it will be tough though to find others my own age. I've been struggling to find others - online - for a long time on a number of fronts. Forums mostly. Is good that the young folk have place, and also their parents. Yet like I attempted to allude to in my intro - there is one or two skipped generations before the onset of our modern day mental health industry. Something like that.

So there you have it.

My Intro Done.
~ Dave.

Last edited:
welcome.png

Welcome One Track Mind, to Aspie Central. There are members over forty years old on the forum. So you may discover someone who's had similar experiences.

hi onetrackmind, welcome to AC!
im 33 and was diagnosed with what was severe classical autism and intellectual disability as a child so i am not in your core interest of people but i just wanted to welcome you,most people on here were diagnosed as adults or late teens at the least from what ive seen as aspergers is a nineties onwards diagnosis so a lot of people have been left undiagnosed.

Hi OneTrackMind (and anybody else too). I liked your statements that being seen as retarded or on the spectrum in our world isn't a bad thing! I agree. I think it may not be your age that keeps people from listening to you, validating you, or respecting you...it is probably more because you aren't as of the world as they are. You see legitimate problems in your environment that they deny. You can't put blinders on when they can. So they write you off.

If you know that you're being moral, validate yourself, even if they can't do it for you. while there may not be a lot you can do about the things that bother you now, keep observing and don't lose your sense of morality...
I'm not "religious" but people treated Jesus similarAlt, and he never compromised his integrity.

No easy way to say it really. I struggle with being concise. Back in 69 mental health was not the industry it is today ... in 92 my son was fell victim to experimental drugs that inadvertently lead him onto crack. I'm talking of Ritalin which at that time was for his ADHD. Back to my time there was virtually no such thing ... just hyper kids and all that kind of thing. OCD - ODD - ADD - onto extreme anxiety, social phobia, clinical depression all of which did me no favors being diagnosed with. I was eventually pensioned off as someone who just does not fit in.

Recently I have opted to be once again DXed as the above symptoms fail to explain when others ask what's my core inability. Things are coming more into focus after taking an interest in my grandsons apparent lack of keeping up. Likes to bang his head which can lead to hard core episodes. His mum hardly spoke but now refuses to acknowledge any limitations of her own. None the less they pretty much all call me retarded which is fine by me. Being retarded in a world like this is not such a bad thing.

My therapist says she has "No Problem" DXing me on the spectrum, which in a world gone mad on labels is not such a bad thing. At least now when they "professionals" relay to my wife - "has your husband been DXed - we might be shown a little more respect ... rather than just saying Anxiety, phobias and depression. Teachers about rolls their eyes at that ... so too most nurses, doctors and other so called professionals. Sucks to only have symptoms labeled as your DX. Confuses everyone and does little to help - makes stigma worse.

ATM - If stigma gives way to anything, its still more pitty than much else. Stigma having most people think Anxiety is just being nervous, that social phobia is because I don't want to play with Bob and the my clinical depression is due to broken nails. Not sure if anyone gets my drift.

Is good since I have been reading up on the spectrum. There is a LOT of sense in it for me. I am more able to redefine and hone current alternative methods I've been using to remain drug free.

Alas - Adult Sufferers - (latter not a choice word) no doubt make for complex cases ... but I know myself well enough, so does my long standing therapist. I think it will be tough though to find others my own age. I've been struggling to find others - online - for a long time on a number of fronts. Forums mostly. Is good that the young folk have place, and also their parents. Yet like I attempted to allude to in my intro - there is one or two skipped generations before the onset of our modern day mental health industry. Something like that.

So there you have it.

My Intro Done.
~ Dave.

Dave--welcome. That was beautifully written, and honest, and unafraid to be vulnerable. You will fit right in here in this place. Best of luck.

Awesome! - I got a real buzz when I rolled over this morning, reached for my phone and logged in. TY for making me feel so welcome. :) - Especially for the sharing of your insights, encouragement and validations.

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed today, so will take my time going though the forum. I generally like to have an online journal so might make use the Blog feature this forum has. Kudos to having that feature.

Thanks again everyone. So glad I found this place and took the time to join. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the Friendly gesture there.

I am not doing so well these days. :(

My sensitivity issues are going through the roof. What's worse is how the world currently is ... but you guys know the story on that score. Wrong World and all that.

Not to worry ... Sigh. I should maybe start a new blog in here. Will think more on that.

There are a bunch of us in the "skipped generation" category here. The 40+ crowd, that were kids before psychiatry even recognized autism/AS. I'm late 40s, there are 3 or 4 of us, at least one in the 50s, at least in the 60s.

I think it will be tough though to find others my own age. I've been struggling to find others - online - for a long time on a number of fronts. Forums mostly.

You found us!

57 and still counting...

Our membership has plenty of people over the age of 40 with a few in their 70s ;)

What's done is gone, at least we've found out finally.

Most of our generation of autistics will never find out, I suspect.

New Threads

Top Bottom