• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

40something female recently diagnosed

BeachLife

40's woman newly diagnosed
Hi, where to start? :)

I'm recently diagnosed and am currently in the processing and acceptance stage. It's quite incredible this snowball effect of the more women who are diagnosed late in life, the more accurate info circulates about female presentation (hence me putting g pieces together) leading to this mega increase in later in life diagnosis!

In some ways , well in many ways it's been an amazing beautiful gift to finally understanding myself, to let go of guilt and wondering what's the matter with me. In other ways, I was surprised by the presence of some grief, I guess it's just part of acceptance.

The grief I think is mostly around me accepting that I probably haven't "passed" as neuro-typical as much as I thought I did! I simply put myself in social situations with other eccentric, unusual, creatively individual people mostly.. and it was when I tried to function in the mainstream culture World that I stuck out like a sore thumb. Lol.

Well, my first post, my first year knowing I am an autistic woman. I hope to make friends here and offer mutual support.

upload_2018-9-17_19-58-43.png

You'll make friends here - some great people on this forum. And there are many of us who were diagnosed late in life so we relate to what you are feeling. Relief. A bit cheated. Finally have answers to lifetime struggles.

Welcome Beachlife.

I was only diagnosed last year at the age of 67. I went through all the same emotions as you.
It's such a relief to finally get some answers to a lifetime of questions, but I think it's inevitable there will also be some sadness.

I hope you enjoy the journey!

Welcome Beachlife.

I was only diagnosed last year at the age of 67. I went through all the same emotions as you.
It's such a relief to finally get some answers to a lifetime of questions, but I think it's inevitable there will also be some sadness.

I hope you enjoy the journey!
Wow, 67! Thanks so very much

You'll make friends here - some great people on this forum. And there are many of us who were diagnosed late in life so we relate to what you are feeling. Relief. A bit cheated. Finally have answers to lifetime struggles.
Thanks Pat, so very much

New Threads

Top Bottom