• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

24 Christmas Creatures To Look Out For In December...

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me. Some of these are cryptids/mythological creatures, while others are from literature/other media)

It's the countdown to Christmas, so discover a new festive character every day with this list of Christmas creatures, from Rudolph to Krampus...

The countdown to Christmas has begun, and with festivities come Christmas creatures. Whether you’re looking out for mischievous lutins or can’t wait to hear Rudolph’s sleigh bells, there’s a whole world of characters you may never even have heard of. Here are some Christmas creatures that pop up each December in different places around the world. From the terrifying Krampus to the jolly elves, see how many you can spot this year!
(See image below)

1. Rudolph
Where found: The North Pole
Naughty or Nice? Nice
Santa’s 9th and favourite reindeer who leads the sleigh through the darkness on Christmas Eve thanks to his luminous red nose.

2. Gryla
Where found:
Iceland
Naughty or Nice? Naughty
A giant troll who leaves her cave dwellings to kidnap and feast on the naughty children who haven’t obeyed their parents.

3. The Yule Lads
Where found: Iceland
Naughty or Nice? Naughty
The 13 sons of Gryla, known for being mischievous pranksters. Each is identified by their own stunt, for example ‘Spoon Licker’ and ‘Window Peeper’.

4. The Grinch
Where found: Whoville
Naughty or Nice? Both
A grouchy green creature with a heart ‘two sizes too small’, the Grinch was not a fan of festivities until shown a little kindness.

5. La Befana
Where found: Italy/ Russia
Naughty or Nice? Nice
Also known as ‘Baboushka’ in Russia, La Befana is a gentle old witch. She travels the world on her broomstick, leaving cookies and gifts in children’s houses.

6. The Yule Cat
Where found: Iceland
Naughty or Nice? Naughty
Also part of the Gryla and Yule Lads’ household. This giant cat feasts on anyone, unless they’ve received new clothes for Christmas.

7. Lutins
Where found: Normandy
Naughty or Nice? Both
A type of festive hobgoblin. Although French folklore, lutins are also present in Lapland to help Père Noël (Father Christmas).

8. The Tomten
Where found: Scandinavia
Naughty or Nice? Nice
Similar looking to a garden gnome, it’s the protector of each household. It has a temper though, so leave food out on Christmas Eve.

9. Belsnickel
Where found: Germany
Naughty or Nice? Nice
Belsnickel arrives 2 weeks before Christmas wearing old rags. He comes to warn the naughty children to behave and reward the good ones with sweets.

10. Krampus
Where found: Austria
Naughty or Nice? Naughty
Half-goat, half-demon, Santa’s evil counterpart Krampus punishes the naughty children, while Santa leaves gifts for the nice ones.

11. Frosty the Snowman
Where found: Anywhere snowy
Naughty or Nice? Nice
With a corncob pipe and a button nose, Frosty the Snowman has the ability to come to life. If it’s cold enough you may see him dance around.

12. Elves
Naughty or Nice? Nice
The elves are Santa’s happy helpers, with large pointy ears and festive hats. They assemble children’s gifts at Santa’s workshop up North.

13. Mrs Claus
Naughty or Nice? Nice
Santa’s faithful wife. She helps by baking cookies for the elves, tending to the reindeer and even assisting with the toys all in time for Christmas.

14. Frau Perchta
Where found: Austria
Naughty or Nice? Naughty
A gruesome witch who doles out both rewards and brutal punishments to those deserving during the 12 days of Christmas.

15. Jack Frost
Where found: Anywhere cold
Naughty or Nice? Naughty
Made entirely of ice, he’s a sprite-like character that leaves a shiver wherever he goes. He’s responsible for the frosty weather in December.

16. The Ghost of Christmas Past
Where found: London
Naughty or Nice? Nice
According to Dickens, the Ghost of Christmas Past is a white-robed figure of indeterminate age there to remind you of previous years.

17. The Ghost of Christmas Present
Naughty or Nice? Nice
A jolly giant wearing a fur lined green robe and holding a large torch, he can show you scenes of festivity around your neighbourhood.

18. The Ghost of Christmas Yet-To-Come
Naughty or Nice? Naughty
The most daunting of the ghosts, he resembles the Grim Reaper in a hooded cloak only showing a hand which points to the future.

19. Mari Llwyd
Where found: Wales
Naughty or Nice? Naughty
A zombie horse who rises from the dead every New Year’s Eve to remind the living of their existence and even try and get into their house.

20. The Whos
Where found: Whoville
Naughty or Nice? Nice
Residing near the Grinch, the Whos are jolly humans who uphold Christmas spirit. You can spot them by their characteristically tiny noses.

21. The Yule Goat
Where found: Sweden
Naughty or Nice? Nice
God Thor apparently rode a chariot led by two goats, since then the Yule Goat has become a huge part of Scandinavian Christmas’.

22. Ded Moroz
Where found: Russia
Naughty or Nice? Nice
The Slavic equivalent to Santa, he dons a blue fur coat and a magic staff. He delivers presents to children in person on New Year’s Eve.

23. The Snow Maiden
Where found: Russia
Naughty or Nice? Nice
The granddaughter and helper of Ded Moroz, she accompanies him on New Year’s Eve. Spot her in silvery blue robes and a furry hat.

24. Santa
Naughty or Nice? Nice
Originally known as St. Nicholas, the big man himself is renowned for bringing gifts to nice children around the world every Christmas eve!

Image:
Chrsitmas-Creatures-FINAL2.jpg

Source: 24 Christmas Creatures To Look Out For In December - The Sleep Matters Club

Very informative. I thought I detected the 'spoon licker' when I lived in Iceland. Or on the other hand it might have been my five year old son. :D

Very informative. I thought I detected the 'spoon licker' when I lived in Iceland. Or on the other hand it might have been my five year old son. :D

Better the spoon-licker than the Christmas Cat - who just makes me think of a giant version of the roaring feline from Mousehunt.

Last edited:
I love the zombie horse from Wales, even funnier, it trys to get in the house. l guess l would drop hay as proof to my kid we had a visitor. Of course l do remember when my daughter at a tender age said Santa isn't real. But the tooth fairy lived longer in her mind. The Easter Bunny had a good run too.

Every nation has its own Christmas traditions. I recently watched a series of shows about celebrating Christmas in different countries. I didn't know many things. Now it is convenient that there is the Internet, digital technologies and there is an opportunity to learn more. I have a set top box connected. This opens up a lot of possibilities. Recently I watched a TV channel in Finland. It's santa's beautiful residence.

Just seen a trailer for The Christmas Chronicles 2

Looks like both Belsnickel and the Yule Cat will feature in this film:

The zombie horse seems a more accurate character for New Year's Eve than Baby New Year and Father Time.

Baby New Year:
Where Found: Anywhere after New Year's Eve, but usually in editorial cartoons.
Naughty or Nice? Nice

Baby New Year is the personified version of the... new year. He is a baby boy wearing a diaper, a sash with the the new year printed on it, and maybe a top hat. Father Time is his father figure. Baby New Year starts out as an infant but ages rapidly until he is a very old man not unlike Father Time, and at the end of the year he either dies or retires and another Baby New Year is born.

In the Rudolph New Year TV special, the old year would retire to a secret island where it always stays the same year. And while an island where prehistoric creatures or Ben Franklin lives is pretty cool, can you imagine an island where it's always 2020? Ugggggh!:fearscream: And that's why the Zombie horse would be more accurate.

And not just 2020, either, but other years where really scary or sad stuff happened. The Black Death. The Great Depression. 1999 might be pretty interesting though, with all the hype about Y2K.:sunglasses:

New Threads

Top Bottom