• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

2020 - another decade is ending

IntoTheVoid

So, only little days remain to the end of the decade 2010-2020, so maybe it's time to evaluate how was this decade for us.

For me, soooo many things happened during the decade. My life absolutely changed many times during this period, the way how I see the world changed many times as well. I am absolutely a different person now. It was like a roller-coaster - I had the happiest moment of my entire life but also the worst moment of my life. So many accomplishments but also many mistakes were made.
In 2010 I would never believe if you told me about my future 10 years. I wonder what another decade brings and if it's gonna be so insane as the previous one.
Oh, and also this decade ends with the confirmation I have an Asperger's Syndrome which is an interesting "dot behind the sentence". Suddenly my life makes sense now and it makes me happy.

How about your decade? Tell me about everything that happened?

I thought only journalists did an end-of-decade, end-of-year, end-of-century, end-of-millennium wrapup... journalists and movie critics with their insipid "best ten fiilms of 2019" type reportage.

I can honestly say I never do the look-back or even the look-ahead activity. On rare occasions I set a new year's resolution, but with little hope or expectation of fulfilling it. [political reference removed by moderator, expressing that someone has had his greatest accomplishment and greatest embarrassment in the past decade.] Myself, I prefer staying on an even keel.

Last edited:
I went from a devastating accident to a fairly whole human in the last decade.
It wasn't ever easy, but to get to where I am today even amazes the team of neurosurgical people who gave me a second run at life.

There wasn't a lot of hope for me immediately after my accident, and even less after I was declared clinically dead a couple of times. Coming out of my coma was the first step to my recovery.
Yeah, my pros didn't have a lot of positive things to tell my family and friends, but the best of my friends never gave up on me either.
My own father swore that it wasn't me he first saw in the trauma unit, but yep, it was.

I have no way to express how grateful that I am for how well things have turned out.

In reflection, I now know how very little time we get to spend here, and treasure each moment in time now like never before.
If life will allow it, I hope to have many more days, no, strike that, years, to continue along the many paths I have taken.

What lies ahead is still very unknown, but then again, I look forward to seeing where it all goes.

In 2010 I was 20 years old, struggling with severe depression and anxiety, with no clue what to do with my life or how to be happy, and in many ways still a child despite working and living alone on the opposite side of the world.

In the decade since I have lived in 3 other countries before settling back in the UK, got 2 degrees, got a cat, finally made my peace with being an adult after my nephew was born, learned to appreciate what I have and value personal growth.

At the end of this decade I have a job I enjoy but still secretly don't know what I want to do with my life, have put depression behind me (for now), still struggle with anxiety but have learned to manage it well. I'm sure when I look back 10 years from now my 30 year old self with seem just as much a stranger to me as my 20 year old self is now.

I have a hard enough time remembering things I did an hour ago, so....

Yeah I dont really do the "look back" thing very much. Me trying to reach for those old memories is like going through a Where's Waldo book, except that Waldo is invisible.

Wow, can't believe it's been twenty years ago sitting at the hospital New Years eve 2000 with all the big wigs around worrying about the computers possibly messing up, and worried about all the possibilities if that happened. Nothing happened. lol
But the past ten years, my first thought is that 7 grandkids were added to my family, totaling ten and I moved back to NC to be close to my kids again. And personally, better, because learning of my diagnosis, making life easier than it's been all the other decades before. So I'd say it's been a good decade for me.

Hard to believe it's almost 2020. Been an alright decade for me I guess. My support group is still there for me. Have 2 nephews and a niece that I adore. Would be nice to have steady employment though.

I left Satan after 18 years of marriage. I come in peace now. l was sorta in a emotional coma of altered reality but l decided real life was better. I decided l am okay, and many aren't okay despite that stupid book title , (l'm okay, you're okay).

February 2010: went bankrupt
June 2012: diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia
mid-2013: schizo meds rotted my teeth, racked up $9000 dental bill
January 2015: finally paid off dental debt and residual debt from bankruptcy (my mom took out a loan in her name to "help" me, and I had to pay it back because the bankruptcy didn't eliminate it)

Then things finally improved. I saved about $3800 by early 2016.
April 2016: First trip to Jefferson
July 2016: First land purchase (off an Ebay ad)
August and September: two more trips, realized I'd been snookered
Winter 2017: Put land up for sale
July 2017: Sold to a guy who figured property taxes and HOA would be cheaper than R-Ranch fees (R-Ranch is an outdoorsmen country club along the Klamath River)
May 2018: Second land purchase, far better researched; another trip to survey land
May 2019: Formal land survey with a rolatape and marking stakes

So I'm finally saving money again, and have a bunch of stuff I'll need for the cabin. Next trip is due for October 2020.

2010 I was just recovering from liver cancer surgery and still going through a lot of pain when
walking.
2012 Had to put my Mom in nursing home as dementia had gotten too much for me to handle with her
and she was dying of cancer. Also rented part of the house of a fellow tennis player to have a place
I could afford to live. Didn't know I was moving in with the devil. Soon found out.
2013 Mom died. The worst thing that has happened in my life as I hadn't made preparations
on how to live without her.
From then on I fought depression, anxiety, life with someone I barely knew, and putting up with his
verbal abuse. Survival. Not enough money to find where else to live and I didn't want to live alone.
2019 Started having declining health issues. Trying to get those straightened out.
Really I'm alone despite living in the same house as the guy who gave me a place to live.
It hasn't been a good decade. Everything I dreaded finally arrived.

Here's hoping the next 10 are improved for y'all,
or at the very least, no worse :)

My own 10 will see physical decline but I have some different perspectives to meet it with.
I'm looking forward to laughing more often at ridiculousness and nonsense :)

Well I was count 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 as a decade.

Didn't think that someone could count 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 :)

Well I was count 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 as a decade.

Didn't think that someone could count 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 :)
True, 80s music ended in 1989, not 1990, etc.

Didn't think that someone could count 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020
Well you can, the thinking behind it is that one should count from one, not from zero, one being the first number. But actually, 10 years is ten years wherever you start from, you could start from 2013 and then count to 2023 if one wanted :) To me personally, counting the decade up to 2021 would make more sense, because I was born in 1971 and that would be for me personally the completion of 5 decades.

Yes. After 1BC came 1AD, so the first decade AD began January 1, 1 AD, ended December 31, 10 AD, and so on. Same with centuries, and milenia.

in this new year i’m hoping I can get past all the pain of the past and start living my life as a young adult and be great in whatever I do

To start on a fresh path

So, only little days remain to the end of the decade 2010-2020, so maybe it's time to evaluate how was this decade for us.

For me, soooo many things happened during the decade. My life absolutely changed many times during this period, the way how I see the world changed many times as well. I am absolutely a different person now. It was like a roller-coaster - I had the happiest moment of my entire life but also the worst moment of my life. So many accomplishments but also many mistakes were made.
In 2010 I would never believe if you told me about my future 10 years. I wonder what another decade brings and if it's gonna be so insane as the previous one.
Oh, and also this decade ends with the confirmation I have an Asperger's Syndrome which is an interesting "dot behind the sentence". Suddenly my life makes sense now and it makes me happy.

How about your decade? Tell me about everything that happened?

i did something nice to a girl from school,she was feeling sad on her birthday,i made her feel better.fast forward 3 years later,i do another nice thing to her on her birthday,only she was not feeling sad & i wrote a card for her,then she tells her mom about it.now i have her e-mail address & i keep in touch,only she wrote back to me once.

New Threads

Top Bottom