• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

2 weeks of birthdays and family

Pats

V.I.P Member
Jan 28th was my granddaughter's birthday. Feb 2nd, daughter in law, Feb 7th my son's, Feb 10th my daughters, Feb 11th my grandsons, Feb 12th my granddaughters. It's almost as bad as Christmas.

Well Friday evening I was in Charlotte - had promised to babysit for my daughter and son-in-law. And I took my granddaughter her late birthday stuff. My daughter only got irritated at me once this time. :) But she knows I don't make kids go to bed. So when they got home at 10:30 the kids were still up. That wasn't THAT late - shoot, usually when any of the grandkids spend the night with me, they're up half the night - it's kind of out thing and everyone knows that. We were having fun. My 6 year old grandson taught me to play a game on his switch. He won.
But overall it was a good visit. And I took the opportunity to tell my son in law that I wanted him to know that I appreciate him and that he keeps his priorities right - keeping my daughter and grandkids in a home and cared for. I just felt like I needed to let him know that. He seemed to appreciate hearing it and the 2 of us sat up until around 1 a.m. just talking. I think he is the only person I can talk politics or anything with - we agree on very little and we're both fine with it. Anyone else gets upset with opposing views and tries to change the other's opinion. Why can't people figure out that it's okay to not agree? My son in law and I both can give our opinions and understand where the other is coming from - may still not agree, but ok - we're coming from 2 different places. He knows I lived in a totally different time and we both have different influences over our ways of thinking. We actually laugh because we are so different. I wish everyone could be more like that. My daughter had already gone to bed - I can't even come close to a political statement (even if I think it's not political) and she gets mad, yells and stomps out of the room. I've always let my kids feel free to say what they think and I just think I should have that same right, but it's like I'm not allowed. We ALL have opinions and we all like to be allowed to say what they are and SHOULD be able to. See, we did laugh when my son in law said he hasn't agreed with most my opinions since day 1 and I said I'm fine with that. But once in a while, we actually might agree on something - like we both agreed it's time to start electing some grown ups. :)

Hectic fortnight!

I totally get where you're coming from and you & I have talked about something similar in a different context before.
There's a big difference between argument and civilised debate, which seems lost on the world at the moment. I see it on TV, in the news and on social media. Someone with a different point of view is not, by default, an enemy, especially if you simply have different ideas but are aiming for the same goal.

Hectic fortnight!
I totally get where you're coming from and you & I have talked about something similar in a different context before.
There's a big difference between argument and civilised debate, which seems lost on the world at the moment. I see it on TV, in the news and on social media. Someone with a different point of view is not, by default, an enemy, especially if you simply have different ideas but are aiming for the same goal.

This is supposed to be about my son in law and how well we got along this visit. :)

Ms Pats - you seem to have a fantastic family and I admire your cheerful, tolerant attitude toward people. I let my grandkids stay up late, too, and will cook almost anything they want. I made them pepperoni, veggie and cheese pizza from scratch at 8:00 pm last weekend, including homemade dough. Everyone was in pajamas including me.

Their parents can police them; grandmothers can spoil them. :)

You are much more tolerant than I could ever be. I have a problem in which I tend to mirror the attitude of the person talking to me. If someone disagrees with me in a respectful manor I am fine with it. If they are aggressive in their tone, I'm not a very nice person at that point.

I feel your pain, my Mom's birthday is the end of January, my son's the 9th of February, mine the 12th, and my dad's is the 15th. Plus countless cousins I don't speak to are around them too. (I have a huge family 10 aunts 3 uncles).
It's a good thing I excommunicated the majority, or I'd be freaking out right now.
Good luck!
I never talk politics to anyone as a rule or religion. I believe we are all entitled to our beliefs, but not too many think that way unfortunately.

New Threads

Top Bottom