• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

123456789 10

Alan tm

Counting ....
I count in my head so much , mostly to ten .
I'l also count my steps,to 10 or other small numbers .
If I see something like someone sharpen a pencil, I'll count that .
I'l count in time gaps .
Car indicator blinks.
Time to turn a lock .
Stairs

I count a lot . I get fed up of hearing my silent counts

OMG I hate this, I do it too. I work out, so my life is ruled by 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 and sometimes 15!!!

I count everything, too. Even the number of gulps when I drink, and I have no idea why. The numbers of letters in a word, food, time intervals, light flashes, you name it.
It does come in handy sometimes knowing how much of a thing there was, but usually, umm, not so much.
I've grown to accept it as my brain doing its own thing, probably to calm me down or something, and it's much less annoying now that I see it from this perspective, as opposed to when I was trying to fight it.

I do much the same, but I count by 8s rather than 10s or another number. (Unless it's getting a drink at the cityplace McDonald's, where I know to count up to exactly 38 to fill my glass.)

I didn't even know I did it until I was high-school age, waiting in line with my parents one time, and I started counting the lights above me, and my mom said, "Nervous Rex is bored again; he's counting things."

I don't mind it so much, but it kinda baffles me when I am talking to someone and, during a lull in the conversation, my mind goes "...58, 59, 60..." and I realized I have been counting something the whole time.

The only part that disturbs me is that I always expect the final number to mean something - like I'll gain some deep insight into the universe when I know how many steps it is to the bathroom.

When it does bother me, I can usually derail it by reciting a bunch of random numbers in my head.

Last edited:
I suppose it is sort of an anxiety thing , or stress thing but it can be annoying. Displacement activity. Like biting nails .

New Threads

Top Bottom