• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

10 Year Old Aspie Son is Freaked out by Makeup (Update)

Sarahmom

Hey guys, I got some good advice on the last thread and decided to talk to my son about his issue with makeup again. I asked him to draw some pictures of how he sees people wearing makeup, and unsurprisingly the pictures he drew looked more like monsters than people. He said that red lips looked scary and big eyelashes freaked him out. He also said that he can't read facial expressions when the person is wearing makeup, something that I haven't heard him complain about yet. One of his main issues was the aspect of people covering their face, which he sees as lying or hiding something. I explained to him that makeup makes some people feel more confident, and others see it as an art form like painting of drawing (something he loves.) Then I showed him some pictures of people with and without makeup and let him watch me put my makeup on and explained each step. He seemed more comfortable after that and I was able to wear makeup all day without him getting upset. The only thing is, he's really interested in seeing what people look like before and after makeup now. His aunt came over today and the first thing he asked her was how she does her makeup and what she looks like before putting it on. Surprisingly my sister asked for wipes so she could take her makeup off and show him (even though she had dinner plans right after.) They talked makeup for a while and it totally blew his mind. Hopefully this is the end of his phobia!

What a relief. Just keep a box of makeup wipes for female visters near your front entry, lol.

New Threads

Top Bottom