• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Nerdy Nerd

Ivi

Hi everyone! :) It's difficult to introduce myself after spending such a long time by myself mostly.
But I'm a 39-year-old woman on the spectrum. I'm not sure where I'm on the spectrum, but the phrase "high functioning" doesn't feel fitting to me personally due to needing so much assistance in some quite simple life tasks, so I'll just say I have ASD. I also have some illnesses that affect my life (mental and physical health) so that's of course a part of me not functioning very well in my daily life. But ASD plays a big role in that definitely too.

I'm from the strange Northeastern European country called Suomi (Finland), which is known as the "happiest country" as well as one of the "most depressed countries" on Earth simultaneously, a country full of contradictions and extremes in my honest opinion. I have my love and loyalty for some different countries, but I'll leave it at that because I've noticed it's not well taken not to be patriotic at all here.

I'm very very very nerdy in the old-school way. I have many special interests, some of them keep changing, and some of them are permanent in my life. My ability to focus on them is everything to me. One of my biggest special interest is history, other examples are psychology and psychiatry, human behavior (and self-awareness), hair care science, theology (different religions, esp. Islam), World politics (not partisan politics, but different countries' relations in different times), volunteering/charity (esp. unpopular causes, but anything needed), and re-watching my favorite movies over and over again (too many to mention! :))). There are many many more, but most of them are just fleeting passions, and other ones are the most common ones like listening to music.

I would say I'm mostly asexual, but not aromantic. I only realized this later in life, or then became this way due to different events. But it doesn't matter why, I'm fine with asexuality.
I'm a Quranic Muslim, and it's a very important part of my life, a very special interest and comfort.
I have one daughter who lives with her father. My close family is quite small.
I have one friend who is my email pen pal from another country, but someone who's stayed with me for years. :) I find it only easy to connect through emailing in the pen pal -style, but instant messages / chats, and phones in general give me anxiety, which is partly the reason for my loneliness and isolation. I use my laptop for writing and internet in general, unless it's absolutely necessary to use the phone.

I have a very colorful past due to spending my life outside of the "normal society" and making ends meet, and planning my life ahead. Now I've had to simply rest for a few years after burning myself out in many ways. I'm still making plans on some issues I have, my family and loved ones are the number one.

I decided to find this forum because I have been bedridden due to an illness for the past (maybe) 7 months, and I lost a lot of connections with people during that time unfortunately. I was pondering for a long time if I'm still able to try to find some kind of a group or a forum to socialize with people even if just online (the common social media platforms aren't my thing to be honest...). :) Because this forum said "don't be shy" to introduce yourself, I decided to not be too shy to do that. :)

So hello to everyone and warm greetings!

P.S. I really hope my introduction didn't sound too depressed or anything too negative (recovering still, so I'm thinking of my self-awareness tactics and if I'm masking or not while writing this, haha :)).

1714610238967.png

Hello and welcome, @Ivi. Hope you enjoy the forum and that you find a nice spot for yourself here. Let us know if you need any help as you settle in.

I was able to live in Vantaa, Finland after high school. Pleasure to make your acquaintance. Look forward to reading about delicious Finnish foods. Welcome.

Welcome @Ivi !
I'm another old nerd from Florida, USA.
Science, nature, and music have been lifelong interests for me.
And I like watching the same favorite movies and series over and over too.

Hope you like it here. I think you will. 🦋

Hi @Ivi , and welcome to the forum :) Sorry to hear about your struggles, but happy you found us here, it's a good place to be and share! And yeah... seems like you beat us to being the most happy country in the world (I'm from Denmark).

Hi. I have always liked history too. Do you have any favorite periods or events you study?

Hi everyone! :) It's difficult to introduce myself after spending such a long time by myself mostly.
But I'm a 39-year-old woman on the spectrum. I'm not sure where I'm on the spectrum, but the phrase "high functioning" doesn't feel fitting to me personally due to needing so much assistance in some quite simple life tasks, so I'll just say I have ASD. I also have some illnesses that affect my life (mental and physical health) so that's of course a part of me not functioning very well in my daily life. But ASD plays a big role in that definitely too.

I'm from the strange Northeastern European country called Suomi (Finland), which is known as the "happiest country" as well as one of the "most depressed countries" on Earth simultaneously, a country full of contradictions and extremes in my honest opinion. I have my love and loyalty for some different countries, but I'll leave it at that because I've noticed it's not well taken not to be patriotic at all here.

I'm very very very nerdy in the old-school way. I have many special interests, some of them keep changing, and some of them are permanent in my life. My ability to focus on them is everything to me. One of my biggest special interest is history, other examples are psychology and psychiatry, human behavior (and self-awareness), hair care science, theology (different religions, esp. Islam), World politics (not partisan politics, but different countries' relations in different times), volunteering/charity (esp. unpopular causes, but anything needed), and re-watching my favorite movies over and over again (too many to mention! :))). There are many many more, but most of them are just fleeting passions, and other ones are the most common ones like listening to music.

I would say I'm mostly asexual, but not aromantic. I only realized this later in life, or then became this way due to different events. But it doesn't matter why, I'm fine with asexuality.
I'm a Quranic Muslim, and it's a very important part of my life, a very special interest and comfort.
I have one daughter who lives with her father. My close family is quite small.
I have one friend who is my email pen pal from another country, but someone who's stayed with me for years. :) I find it only easy to connect through emailing in the pen pal -style, but instant messages / chats, and phones in general give me anxiety, which is partly the reason for my loneliness and isolation. I use my laptop for writing and internet in general, unless it's absolutely necessary to use the phone.

I have a very colorful past due to spending my life outside of the "normal society" and making ends meet, and planning my life ahead. Now I've had to simply rest for a few years after burning myself out in many ways. I'm still making plans on some issues I have, my family and loved ones are the number one.

I decided to find this forum because I have been bedridden due to an illness for the past (maybe) 7 months, and I lost a lot of connections with people during that time unfortunately. I was pondering for a long time if I'm still able to try to find some kind of a group or a forum to socialize with people even if just online (the common social media platforms aren't my thing to be honest...). :) Because this forum said "don't be shy" to introduce yourself, I decided to not be too shy to do that. :)

So hello to everyone and warm greetings!

P.S. I really hope my introduction didn't sound too depressed or anything too negative (recovering still, so I'm thinking of my self-awareness tactics and if I'm masking or not while writing this, haha :)).
Welcome. We nerds have to stick together.
My Venn.jpg

Hi. I have always liked history too. Do you have any favorite periods or events you study?
Hello! I like all the world history, anything really catches my attention, and I have moments when I focus 100% on a certain part/topic of it and a certain area of the world. I've been very into all military history most of the time.
Lately I've been very focused on the history of Finland before/during the Northern Crusades and occupation (not too much is known about it though), but my favorite era is the Tsarist Russian era here, that first and only known "peaceful" century of Finland fascinates me very much. :) I'm kind of a fan of Kingdoms, and use the Tsarist era as an escapism and a fantasy or "alternative history" in a sense, of how things might have developed without the relatively modern idea of nation states and without our civil wars / independence and the Bolsheviks. Yes, very complex thinking. :)

Hello! I like all the world history, anything really catches my attention, and I have moments when I focus 100% on a certain part/topic of it and a certain area of the world. I've been very into all military history most of the time.
Lately I've been very focused on the history of Finland before/during the Northern Crusades and occupation (not too much is known about it though), but my favorite era is the Tsarist Russian era here, that first and only known "peaceful" century of Finland fascinates me very much. :) I'm kind of a fan of Kingdoms, and use the Tsarist era as an escapism and a fantasy or "alternative history" in a sense, of how things might have developed without the relatively modern idea of nation states and without our civil wars / independence and the Bolsheviks. Yes, very complex thinking. :)

I think I relate to the idea of history as escapism too. I have shifted from periods but there sometimes is a sense of fantasy. One of my earliest favorite periods was the middle ages with knights and castles. I don't think it an exageration to say I was obsessed with it. And I still like the period to this day and it can still be a mental happy place such as watching an old (mostly inaccurate) film like 'Ivanhoe' from the 1950's.

I have moved in quite a few other areas since, one being the period of Rome's advance into northern Europe and especially along the Rhine (the later Limes). I was fortunate enough to be stationed there for 5 years and while visiting all the castles, walled towns and fortified Churches I could started to see the old Roman ruins and became very intrigued. I have wondered about the areas the early historians (Heroditus, Tacituswrote about on the outer edges of knowledge, including Finland. A place where there are few facts and much myth.

New Threads

Top Bottom